Video Of Day

Breaking News

Bondeconomics Condition - 2016

I am currently working on putting the 40(!) charts into my latest report: Interest Rate Cycles: An Introduction. I am non going to hope when it volition live on finished, other than "soon." (Its contents are outlined below.) Since I am fairly tied upward alongside that task, I but wanted to attain an outline of how I see BondEconomics evolving, possibly alongside a hope of getting reader feedback and/or questions. I also desire to receive got the fourth dimension to give cheers my readers for their support.

This article outset discusses the spider web site, so the ebook publishing side.

BondEconomics - What Is That All About?


The seemingly random capitalisation inward "BondEconomics" is the effect of a branding error past times yours truly. My programme was to create my reports every bit "A bondeconomics.com eReport." It turns out that retailers volition block ebooks alongside URLs (web addresses) on their championship page (or so I read; I changed the comprehend earlier finding out the hard way), in addition to so I had to uncovering a autumn dorsum create hollo to piece of job with. Hence "BondEconomics," the thought existence that readers volition figure out that it is related to a domain name.

(The lesson for readers is to enquiry their branding real carefully earlier deciding on a spider web site name...)

Web Site Restructuring Or Content Migration?

One of the things that I am aware of is that my articles are separate into a few unlike styles, in addition to the audience for 1 style may non live on interested inward the other styles. This is why I receive got a real minimal introduction on the front end page, alongside a "read more" option. However, that may non aid readers who instruct the articles via other agency (feeds, etc.).

I already moved my few "personal finance" articles to personalfinance.bondeconomics.com. For reasons that I volition hash out below, I receive got non published much inward that surface area for a considerable time. I volition eventually start publishing articles at that topographic point if in addition to when I start researching a volume on personal finance. Although such a volume is non a high priority, it is on the "to do" list.

May I separate my content further? I suspension my writing on the primary page into 3 styles.
  1. Standard economic science spider web log textile - commenting on the latest controversies in addition to ideas inward economics.
  2. Technical model-building articles. These articles in all probability require the utilisation of mathematics to explicate the theory, which I receive got to a greater extent than oft than non avoided. I may also hash out topics related to the evolution of enquiry platforms, such every bit programming.
  3. Commentary on markets in addition to economical numbers.
I receive got non yet come upward to whatever conclusions on this front; I demand to dig into my traffic statistics ameliorate to instruct a stronger thought of what is working, in addition to what is non working.

However, my impression is that my marketplace in addition to economical information commentary mightiness live on best moved elsewhere. (Some articles would remain, but those would the articles that I sentiment to live on of broad interest.)

One possibility would live on for me to migrate towards Seeking Alpha. My author page: http://seekingalpha.com/author/brian-romanchuk/articles . (The regular membership for Seeking Alpha is free, but they receive got a paid membership option.) Currently, some editors at Seeking Alpha monitor my feed, in addition to republish selected articles (which are to a greater extent than oft than non the marketplace commentary ones). Instead, I could submit such articles straight at Seeking Alpha (and notify readers hither when they are published).

As for the separate of to a greater extent than technical work, I believe it is every bit good early on for that. Instead, I volition tend to continue such articles to a minimum, until I receive got a ameliorate grip on how to bargain alongside that split.

Article Types

Most of my articles are really what I consider to live on outset drafts of diverse concepts that I volition contain into published reports (which is how I intend to "monetise" this site). For the style of writing I do, setting upward the charts, in addition to tracking downward references is the mass of the work. It is fairly piece of cake for me to tap into my article base of operations to so fill upward inward sections of a report.

Although this strategy was efficient for me, I assume that it is somewhat confusing for readers (why is Brian writing a 3-part serial on this random topic?). I receive got been cutting downward on such articles, but I intend to peel them dorsum further.

What I encounter every bit my nub article types:
  • Longer comments on recent controversies, and/or my views on diverse "big picture" topics. I desire to cut down the length of such articles - 600 words instead of 1000.
  • Primers. Although they are non topical, they aid drive search engine traffic. Over time, I volition receive got less in addition to less of these (and I should live on cleaning upward existing ones).
  • Book Reviews. I desire to continue a steady output of 10-15 volume reviews per year. Readers should Federal Reserve annotation that I make non review every volume I read, in addition to I solely review the books that I experience are worth reading (although I may disagree alongside what the author says). I make non receive got a rating system, since this filtering agency the ratings would live on manifestly skewed; the reader volition receive got to read my article to encounter how enthusiastic I am. (In other words, the fact that I solely review books that I to a greater extent than oft than non receive got positive things to tell close is non a bias that is introduced past times my affiliate human relationship alongside a volume seller.)
  • "Article Reviews": Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 summary of enquiry articles that I recall should live on of full general interest.  
One type of article that I no longer make are real brusque comments in addition to links to articles I like. Instead, I pose out such comments on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RomanchukBrian  My feeling (although readers mightiness disagree?) is that such articles clutter upward my feed; if yous receive got similar reading habits to me, yous in all probability already read the articles I linked to. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 tweet is much less unobtrusive.

Suggestions/Ideas

I welcome suggestions for topics from readers; either inward the comments or via the contact form. The 1 type of article that is ruled out is investment recommendations; 1 cannot attain unsolicited investment advice to random strangers over the internet. (In illustration yous are wondering, full general commentary close involvement charge per unit of measurement trends are covered past times a prophylactic harbour that allows writers to hash out economical information without lawyering up.)

Schedule

Since this is non a paid service, it mightiness non appear to create sense to follow a schedule. However, it is an extremely useful disciplinary device every bit a writer. As a result, I aim to continue my output steady at 2 articles per week, in addition to perhaps 1 per calendar week during the summer. However, I volition skip articles if necessary. One of the difficulties alongside splitting my output to unlike venues is that keeping upward a steady stride is to a greater extent than difficult.

Web Site Layout

The tendency is towards to a greater extent than simplified spider web site interfaces. My electrical current blueprint is functional, but it has a somewhat retro look. That said, most of the options for a cleaner interfaces poses maintenance issues that I sentiment every bit a waste materials of my time. Instead, I may human face to encounter whether I tin lop off some of the widgets on the page. (Once I receive got to a greater extent than than 1 ebook to sell, the blueprint volition receive got to live on looked at anyway.)

Comment Feed

Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 "latest comments" feed may live on useful for people leaving comments on older articles - they tin encounter whether at that topographic point was a response. I had one, but I institute it to live on unreliable, slowed page loading, in addition to is some other slice of clutter on the design.

Reports

As noted above, I receive got right away finished a draft of Interest Rate Cycles: An Introduction. The text needs to live on edited, in addition to the forty charts inserted. It is currently close 30,000 words, although I would similar to cutting it downward farther during the editing process.

As the championship indicates, it is introductory, in addition to somewhat informal (almost no equations). That said, it assumes that yous are somewhat familiar alongside the basic concepts ("what is an involvement rate?"). It is aimed to live on at the grade of fiscal marketplace research, which is written at a slightly to a greater extent than complex grade than the concern department of the newspaper.

The chapters currently are:

  1. Overview
  2. Central Bank View of Policy Rates
  3. Modern Interest Rate in addition to Economic Cycles. ("Modern" inward this illustration agency post-1990.)
  4. Market Reaction to Policy Rate Changes
  5. The Analytical Challenge of Recessions
  6. Conclusions

The Production Slowdown

I had initially expected to pose out this study inward October/November (2015), but events out of my command prevented that. It is yet unclear what caused it, but it appears that my torso had a severe reaction to something I ate on the Labour Day weekend (early September). I was out of committee for some time, in addition to I had an extremely depression unloose energy grade until recently. I kept publishing the spider web log articles, but the study was shelved.

Going forward, I hope to resume my planned production of a farther reports. My objective is to complete 4-5 such reports, in addition to so re-assess my publishing strategy based on the results.

Paperback Version

I was going to human face at how to create a paperback version of Understanding Government Finance afterwards Labour Day. That conversion was some other affair that was shelved every bit a effect of my productivity slowdown.

Once Interest Rate Cycles is published every bit an ebook, I volition human face at converting both reports to paperback. The difficulty alongside paperback is that these are reports (30,000 words) versus full-length books (normally 100,000 words). The economic science of print-on-demand hateful that if I desire to create whatever coin at all on the paperback version, it volition receive got to live on sold at to a greater extent than or less a $10 cost point. This may surprise some people ordering it, thinking that it is a "book". (I branded the reports every bit "eReports" in addition to non "ebooks" just because I desire to instruct inward clear that they are non total length.)

Upcoming Reports

My electrical current plans are for 2 reports.
  1. An introduction to Stock-Flow Consistent models. There is no way to avoid equations, so I would typeset this inward LaTex. At present, the solely retail channel that I piece of job alongside able to distribute that format is Amazon. I volition demand to exam technical feasibility earlier starting this.
  2. A "best-of" compilation of articles from the site, revolving to a greater extent than or less the topic of money. Obviously, this would receive got piffling novel material, but it designed to live on to a greater extent than convenient than poking through article links. (It also provides a way for regular readers to back upward my work.)
Beyond those 2 topics, things are to a greater extent than flexible. I am currently aiming my reports at an introductory level, but I volition eventually write to a greater extent than advanced reports. Since those reports volition receive got a to a greater extent than express audience, they volition live on at a higher cost point.

Why Not Full Length Books?

My feeling is that I volition in all probability live on able to make 4-5 reports inward close the same fourth dimension it would receive got to make a total length book. I prefer to create a "diversified portfolio" of publications earlier attempting a book.

I am self-publishing my piece of job for real skillful practical reasons. I worked for a fiscal publisher, in addition to I receive got some of the technical skills needed. Furthermore, I believe that I tin hire editorial back upward on a contract solid set down that would live on on par alongside what would provided past times a publishing menage (for an unknown author such every bit myself). Finally, no publisher is going to impact reports of 10,000-30,000 words, which is the niche that I am targeting. (Bookstores volition non stock books that are every bit good sparse to pose the championship on the spine.) If in addition to when I target writing a piece of job of over 100,000 words, I volition re-consider my publication options.

Thanks For Your Support!

Finally, I would similar to give cheers my readers, commenters, in addition to those who receive got linked to the site. And of course, I would similar to give cheers those of yous who purchased my ebook. I hope to continue improving, so that returning hither is worthwhile.

(c) Brian Romanchuk 2015

No comments