Video Of Day

Breaking News

Titanium Property Administration - Notes On Newspaper Trading In Addition To Murder

There is a story inwards the Sydney Morning Herald today nearly Titanium Asset Management - a funds director inwards Western Sydney that operates every bit component of the Titanium Financial Group.

Titanium has been on my must-look-at listing for around time. I institute them when researching Astarra/Trio - a funds administration fraud shown to me past times ane of my readers which I reported to the regulatory authorities. Titaninum had agreed a white-label bargain distribution deal alongside Astarra, a bargain which to the best of my noesis was never consumated alongside existent money. Titanium said that in that location was no human relationship alongside Astarra but one Titanium entity injure upwards inwards the hands of the Astarra/Trio liquidators. [Someone has suggested inwards the comments that the Titanium entity inwards the hands of the Astarra/Trio liquidators is non related to the Titanium fiscal planners in addition to that no coin e'er changed hands alongside the agreed white-label bargain linked above. I run across no argue to disbelieve that - peculiarly every bit the article is dated inside a calendar month of the demise of Astarra/Trio.]

What amazed me though was the returns of Titanium Asset Management. It was express according to its documents to beingness long-short the stocks inwards the ASX200 (an index of the exceed 200 companies inwards Australia). These were the monthly returns every bit reported:


These returns are astounding. forty per centum inwards Oct 2008, xx per centum inwards Feb 2009. Magic numbers really.

So I rang the fund director - Peter Rice - to essay in addition to run out how he did it. I did non sympathise - at to the lowest degree it did non brand feel to me thus I reported my concerns to ASIC.

I did brand an endeavor though. I institute an interview alongside Peter Rice on Sky News (repeated below). That made no feel either.



Anyway I seat it out of my mind.

Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 duo of weeks agone I looked again. Here are subsequently returns.


The early on months had all gone. (No to a greater extent than forty per centum months!)

The provide inwards Feb 2009 had gone from addition xx per centum to minus vii percent.

I was puzzled.

I rang the auditor every bit listed inwards the master copy production disclosure status. He sounded misfortunate for me - wondering if I was an investor inwards the fund. He told me he had never been the auditor in addition to had gone to around lengths to permit the regulator know that he was falsely listed every bit the auditor.

I rang Peter Rice in addition to he told me the master copy returns came from "paper trading". I wondered why he did non say me that the kickoff fourth dimension I rang in addition to he said that he did non believe he was nether an obligation to bring out that. (Indeed when I rang him the kickoff fourth dimension he told me that he had an independent dorsum component in addition to used Citigroup every bit his prime number broker - both things that would non laissez passer on if the profits were from newspaper trading.)

I sent it all to the Sydney Morning Herald. (My project is to deal coin - non explore these things...)

I intend Michael West did a great project of the story.

He too pointed out something that really surprised me. Andrew Blanchette who controls Titanium (at to the lowest degree is listed on the license in addition to is the possessor of the domain names) was ane time the beau of Sydney model Caroline Byrne. She was institute dead at the bottom of Sydney suicide location The Gap. Maybe suicide. Maybe murder.

Caroline's expiry was the dependent plain of much gossip inwards Sydney - the prime number suspect was Gordon Wood. Wood was Caroline's beau at the fourth dimension of her expiry in addition to was too the chauffeur to Rene Rivkin a colourful Sydney stockbroker. Rivkin has since committed suicide.

Wood was convicted exactly since in addition to thus Australia's highest profile electrical flow affairs computer program has thrown that conviction into doubt.

This generally proves that Sydney is sometimes a rattling pocket-size town. No more.



John

No comments