Video Of Day

Breaking News

I’M Nat Friedman, Time To Come Ceo Of Github. Ama.

From Reddit:

Hi, I’m Nat Friedman, time to come CEO of GitHub (when the bargain closes at the cease of the year). I'm hither to respond your questions most the planned acquisition, together with Microsoft's move amongst developers together with opened upwards source. Ask me anything.
Update: cheers for all the neat questions. I'm signing off for now, only I'll endeavor to come upwards dorsum afterward this afternoon together with pick upwards unopen to of the queries I didn't arrive at out to respond yet.
Update 2: Signing off here. Thank y'all for your involvement inwards this AMA. There was a actually high book of questions, together with then I’m sorry if I didn’t larn to yours. You tin uncovering me on Twitter (https://twitter.com/natfriedman) if y'all desire to proceed talking.

[–]hey-its-matt 303 points  
What is your reply to people moving repos to GitLab together with other providers?
[–]nat_friedman[S] 712 points  
Developers are independent thinkers together with volition ever stimulate got a salubrious score of skepticism, only I acknowledge I was lamentable to encounter that unopen to felt compelled to motility their code. I stimulate got the responsibleness of earning their trust seriously.
OTOH, I intend it’s neat that git gives developers the flexibility to motility their repos similar this, together with I promise those who stimulate got tried out other Git hosts inwards the yesteryear few days volition proceed an opened upwards hear together with visit moving dorsum in i lawsuit we’ve demonstrated our commitment to openness together with made GitHub fifty-fifty better. If they select non to motility back, that’s their prerogative together with nosotros celebrate developer choice fifty-fifty when developers don’t select us.
That said, the GitHub squad reports that the ready of users who stimulate got migrated or closed their accounts is extremely small, together with this is to a greater extent than than made upwards for yesteryear the surge of novel signups together with novel involvement inwards GitHub this week.
[–]charliethom 378 points  
I stimulate got the responsibleness of earning their trust seriously.
Love this attitude. That is all.
[–]ddy_stop_plz 215 points  
As a developer I actually distrust Microsoft together with this acquisition scares the hell out of me.
That beingness said, this AMA has helped a decent flake
[–]sakdfghjsdjfahbgsdf 283 points  
As a consumer, I heavily distrust Microsoft.
As a developer, MS has been nil only practiced to me. They brand top-tier products, stimulate got abandoned SourceSafe inwards favor of git, together with recent moves to open-source .NET together with such stimulate got been great. I intend this acquisition volition move a real practiced matter for GitHub.
...MUCH MORE

No comments