Video Of Day

Breaking News

On Giving Advice

I was happy to handgrip to last on an advisory panel for Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell MP. There are exclusively 2 reasons why I would say no to whatever major political political party who asked me to give them their advice. The commencement is if this restricted what I would otherwise write on this weblog or elsewhere. No such asking has been made, although if y'all are hoping that I volition let out inward posts accounts of what happens at panel meetings y'all volition every bit good last disappointed.

The minute argue why I mightiness convey said no is if I idea the advisory panel was for presentation only, too all advice would last ignored. I convey no argue for believing that inward this case, too about grounds for thinking the opposite, which I here, although getting the message clear in all probability requires about work. 

One rather distressing comment on the formation of this grouping is that those joining it volition last forever tainted past times associating themselves amongst a "hard left dinasours". Or to set it about other way, its members should convey said no to the Labour political party leadership because they straight off convey pariah status. As I pointed out inward the Independent article, the electrical flow leadership volition convey to come upwards to about variety of accommodation amongst the residue of the parliamentary party, too and thus Labour policies are unlikely to last the variety of far-left platform that many inward the media appear happy to imagine. As Labour are the primary opposition to the electrical flow government, too I intend their macro policies are pretty awful, it would convey been bizzare indeed if I had said no to this invitation.

Robert Peston has a curt blog post on this novel panel. He asks a real expert question, which is why previous political party leaderships convey non done anything similar. I would quibble close ane phrase inward his postal service though, too that is this grouping is designed "to constitute an economical ideology exterior the mainstream". As I convey oftentimes said, my ain macro is pretty mainstream. What has happened since 2010 is that macro policy has departed from that mainstream.      

No comments