Video Of Day

Breaking News

American Airlines Vs Herbalife

I am sick inward bed inward a hotel inward Charlotte.

Very sick. Fever.

I had a flying booked tomorrow from Miami to Boston - only at that spot is non a endangerment inward the Earth I tin sack brand that flight.

So I tried to cancel.

I logged inward to American Airlines website. It didn't work.

It turns out that if y'all booked on an Australian website y'all request to log into the Australian website fifty-fifty when y'all are inward America.

Logged into the Australian website too found my flight. Got upwardly the ticket only at that spot was no refund option.

So I googled American Airlines refunds. American Airlines has a carve upwardly website for refunds (I estimate they are hoping that around people can't uncovering it too they tin sack deceive them out of a fare).

Alas I could non log inward amongst my Australian booking number.

So I googled refunds, American Airlines Australia. There is a site too I could uncovering my booking only at that spot was no pick to refund.

But they did link a telephone number.

Got pose through to a vocalism recognition telephone midpoint that could non recognize me.

After close 10 minutes I larn an operator who can't do the refund - only they did eventually transfer me to an international operator who could do the refund. Slowly.

It was done.

I assure y'all that it is harder to larn a refund from American Airlines than it is every bit a Herbalife distributor.

And the procedure is far to a greater extent than deceptive.

I am waiting until around hedge fund director comes out amongst a billion dollar brusk on American Airlines. Meanwhile I am going to write to the Federal Trade Commission close American Airlines unfair behaviour.

Alas I volition accept to bargain amongst this rather severe limitation on the FTC's power:

(n) Standard of proof; world policy considerations 
The Commission shall accept no say-so nether this department or department 57a of this championship to declare unlawful an deed or practise on the grounds that such deed or practise is unfair unless the deed or practise causes or is probable to drive substantial injury to consumers which is non reasonably avoidable yesteryear consumers themselves too non outweighed yesteryear countervailing benefits to consumers or to competition. In determining whether an deed or practise is unfair, the Commission may consider established world policies every bit bear witness to live on considered amongst all other evidence. Such world policy considerations may non serve every bit a original Earth for such determination.

You come across the practise of American Airlines - which makes it ridiculously hard to claim a refund which y'all are entitled to seems unfair. I estimate if it is "reasonable" too thus the Commission has no ability to declare it unlawful on the grounds that it is unfair.

The procedure at Herbalife is much easier. It is reasonably slow to larn a total refund too the refund includes postage. The department inward a higher house somewhat it seems limits the FTC's ability inward the Herbalife case.




John

No comments