Video Of Day

Breaking News

Lenovo Screws Upwards A Skillful Thing

In Jan 2006 Jeff Matthews wrote a spider web log post titled "Dell Screws Up a Good Thing". It was a tale of woe close service/build character at Dell which presaged a major turn down inwards Dell marketplace portion as well as profitability.

Jeff's sense resonated alongside me (and it seems alongside hundreds of his readers). I purchased 1 of Dell's laptops - an XPS 13** that had a good known as well as good documented work alongside the cooling for their graphics chip. The repair guy Dell eventually sent out to develop it knew what it was before he fifty-fifty opened the box (they all had that problem) as well as even hence at the fourth dimension the Dell management seemed to move denying their problems.

Cognitive vibrations is never a proficient affair inwards a consumer-facing company.

I became - seemingly irrevocably - a Lenovo guy. The ThinkPads powerfulness move ugly but they had groovy keyboards as well as they worked.

Well directly I am reconsidering. I purchased an E31 - a mondo-grunt desktop marketed equally a low-end "workstation" as well as configured it to move robust. All the discs were RAID (ie the discs all duplicated) as well as I chose all the other features that made it bombproof.

It arrived broken.

Lenovo kindly offered me a replacement machine - their "dead-on-arrival" service.

I should create got taken that offer. Lord knows I should create got taken the offer.

The DOA service was going to create got 7 or 8 days as well as I wanted the machine faster than that - hence - presumably alongside lower terms to Lenovo - they sent individual out to develop my machine. They replaced the motherboard.

The machine worked OK as well as hence provided I used the onboard graphics card. The graphics bill of fare though was stuffed - as well as hence they were going to transportation me a replacement which I would happily seat inwards myself.

H5N1 calendar week after as well as no graphics card. No telephone phone band from Lenovo either.

So I rang them.

An sixty minutes on the phone, dropped calls, blood trace per unit of measurement area rising. And eventually they discovered they were out-of-stock of requested graphics bill of fare hence their solution was to create nothing. No demand to state the client. Just permit them stew it out. Michael Dell - fifty-fifty your society was improve than that!

I intend I spent over 2 hours on the telephone sorting this out - as well as eventually got around satisfaction. H5N1 graphics bill of fare 1 pace upgraded arrived inwards the mail, as well as when inserted the machine worked.

I was relieved as well as idea my bad sense was a one-off - the carve upward of affair that all companies create got - a glitch sent to attempt me.

Then, after 3 days work, the reckoner wouldn't showtime at all. It could non uncovering the kicking mechanism.

So - to a greater extent than inwards sorrow than inwards anger I rang the Lenovo back upward squad again. The adult woman I spoke to was patronizing, rude. She was only appalling. At this signal I was furious as well as asked to speak to individual else. The telephone phone band was dropped as well as I am non certain whether it was deliberate or not. This was service worthy of Dell at its worst.

In resignation I rang over again as well as this fourth dimension I striking the jackpot, a calm, competent adult woman called Danya who talked me through a attain of problems. It appears that the novel motherboard installed before had the incorrect BIOS on it. (This carve upward of affair happens as well as I am guessing the arrangement was non consistent alongside the RAID that was laid up. At to the lowest degree that seems to move what happened but I am non sure. Ultimately I suspect Danya was equally clueless at fixing the work equally me.)

Whatever, Danya walked me through the procedure of flashing the correct BIOS. For around argue nosotros could non solve this from a dead machine - as well as without whatsoever acrimony I was offered the DOA service.

Its a calendar month directly - as well as I don't create got a machine jibe for purpose. But I am non outright angry. I volition in all likelihood transportation the quondam machine dorsum minus the difficult drives (they create got fiscal establishment information on them directly hence I can't reasonably laissez passer on them back) as well as - at to the lowest degree inwards the cease - I did non uncovering the cognitive vibrations that led to the full reputation trashing at Dell.

But it was non a proficient experience. And it was hardly profitable for Lenovo costing them a few hours of service time, an extra machine addition an extra graphics bill of fare as well as motherboard.

Maybe the adjacent machine volition move a Dell.

Michael Dell it seems may create got got a rattling proficient bargain regardless of my skepticism of this industry.

As for Hewlett Packard - good Meg Whitman is beingness given a golden chance to create got portion inwards a declining industry. Ebay nether Meg Whitman was hardly known for its shining client service - but it was improve than Dell - as well as improve than everyone at Lenovo except the wonderful Danya.

I create got been skeptical of HP for a long fourth dimension now... but the best bull illustration I create got heard is that the contest are hence much worse. That is non a groovy bull illustration - but for HP it is an improvement.




John

No comments